Friday, July 19, 2013

Cold Wind's Howl

Silence pressed itself against her lips as she surveyed the chaos around her. Down below her window the city's streets where ablaze, men and women ran this way and that as if there was an escape. She neither feared the flames nor felt remorse for those contending with them, only the cold emptiness that had filled her since the beginning. "Why do you torment yourself by watching those cretins?" A voice from her door  intruded. "they do this every night, it must get boring." 
"It's the only truth still flowing through this town," She turned to look at the shadowed figure in her doorway. "they may repeat over and over but at least they're still breathing."
"I think you overrate breath"
"I'm sure you do. But you've been living this for far longer, I'm not as cynical." 
"Yet" He tugged at the chain secured to her neck, beckoning her to him. "I'm a patient man, one day you'll see things as I do." 
She stood close enough to have felt his chest raise and fall if he ever took a breath. "There's nothing that would cause me to abandon them as you have."
"They abandoned us, why should we care what happened next?" 
"We belonged with them once-"
"Once, 'til they discovered our nature and cast us aside. Let the world burn my dear, join me tonight." 
She hesitated. 
"I don't want to force you beloved." 
"I know." 
"Just keep your eyes on me, don't even look their way." 
She nodded and he lead her away. Down the hallways, through the flames that never touched them. Twisting this way and that to avoid the city dwellers defending what they could in desperate slow motion as they did every night. He pulled her closer as they reached the top most floor of the tower. She pulled the hidden lever he guided her through to the balcony. He wrapped his arms around as they looked out across the cityscape. His voice rang out in the utter nothingness, a simple tune from a year long past. A fitting song of chaos and fire from a world no longer here.    

No comments:

Post a Comment